vendredi 19 mai 2017

Is there such a thing as Universal Rights?

A friend and I had a discussion about healthcare as a universal right.

I support a universal healthcare style system because I believe it provides a wide variety of benefits both to individuals and to society as a whole (reduced suffering, increased health and happiness, improved productivity, not being stuck at a job because you need insurance) , but I don't believe it is a universal right because I don't believe in universal rights.

He disagrees and believes it is a universal right in that it is something everyone deserves simply by being born.

It seems to me very much like religion

The Theist says: "Healthcare is a god given right!"

The Atheist/Agnostic/Spiritual says: "Healthcare is a universal right!"

In both cases it's a person taking their own moral viewpoints and attributing/associating them to something of a higher power whether that's god or the universe.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2rBMVPN

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire