mercredi 5 mai 2021

Window PTACs with Heat - Is There a Quiet Option?

I need help understanding window PTACs (Packaged terminal air conditioners) better.

The joint venture that owns my apartment building is replacing the gas radiators with window PTACs that also provide electric heat, one per each room. Some of my neighbors have already have them installed and complain that they are very noisy.

I started doing some research on window PTACs with the hope that I would find a quieter brand and be able to convince management to install the quiet models in my apartment instead if I paid for the difference in price. I’m hard of hearing, and don’t hear well with loud background noise and I want to be able to hear people at home. Plus I find noise to be irritating and I rather not be irritated at home. The problem is that I’m not finding a lot of information and what I am finding is confusing me.

I found an article on a retailer’s web page that said that there are two different types of heat technology in PTACs: heat pump and electric heat. The former was described as noisier and not suitable for being the primary heat source if you live in a cold climate, and I do (in New York). The latter was described as quieter and OK for a primary heat source. That sounded good to me and I was ready to look online for a window PTAC with electric heat.

But then I saw this article :

Quote:

In the past, the downside of a heat pump was that it took longer for the heat to really heat up a room. However, all modern PTAC units with heat pumps also have resistance heat. The resistance heat kicks on instantly and warms the room up quickly, then switches over to the heat pump to maintain the desired temperature.

Heat pumps work best when the outside temperature is above freezing. Once the temperature drops down into the 20s or lower, it’s too cold for a heat pump to work properly. At that point, the resistance heat will take over. A heat pump’s sweet spot is between 35-55 degrees F.

PTACs with heat pumps can be a little more expensive than those with just resistance heat. But, because heat pumps are so much more efficient, they save you money in the long run by reducing overall energy costs.

I’m interpreting this as meaning that:

* newer PTACs use both heat pumps and electric heat (assuming that electric heat is another way of describing resistance heat) as a way of using the ability of electric heat to warm a room during very cold weather and using the advantage of a heat pump to be more energy efficient after the room has been warmed. But I assume that the window heat pump is still noisy.

* The first article I read, written in 2016, is providing outdated information and perhaps only true for old models that may still be in stock.

Lastly I saw this on a New York State government web site: “The warmer, cooler, cleaner way to heat and cool your home. Are you using oil, propane, or electric baseboards as your primary heating source? Heat pumps are a better, more efficient way to keep your home comfortable all year long, without the use of fossil fuels.” There's nothing on the web site about heat pumps not being the way to go in cold climates.


I’m hoping that among the geniuses that frequent this forum some of you also understand window PTACs and can let me know if any quiet versions are out there. Or perhaps you can direct me to another forum where I can ask these questions.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: As an aside, I read that mini-splits with heat pumps are a good quiet option. Unfortunately the business that owns my apartment building didn’t decide to go in that direction. :(


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3vCmtqa

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire