mercredi 12 septembre 2018

Philosophy of guilt?

I recall a quote: "Guilt is the most useless emotion." It was from a 1970's book by Erica Jong. That comment stayed with me, and I bought into it for awhile.

Lately, I see it as a rarely tapped resource at times.


I have been struggling with guilt for a few months. A guilt not at all like the kind you feel when you don't take your child to school and make them walk. No, the guilt came about after a suicide where I had argued and said and wrote some horrific things, just prior.


But my point is not about loss, it is about guilt, and using it as a resource. It has to do with using it to motivate myself into being a kinder, more gentle person. My 10 year old, Zaira, said: "we have to work at being better people now and live like he would want us to." She's much smarter then I am.


It's an endeavor, a plan to try. I don't know if my guilt will ever be where I am comfortable, but at least it proactive.


So, does anyone believe guilt "is a useless emotion" as Jong said, or can it be used in some way?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2MprsmX

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire