lundi 26 avril 2021

The Scout Mindset by Julia Galef (or how to be a skeptic without using that word)

So, Julia Galef's first book, The Scout Mindset: Why Some See Things Clearly and Others Don't, has now been published. And, I would say it is a remarkably excellent book! 5 stars out of 5!

But, I am NOT just saying that because she is a friend of mine: For several years, I gave myself a thought experiment: If I were to write my own book about critical thinking, what would it be like? I would hope that it would be concise and to the point, would avoid negative-connotation-sounding words like "skeptic", and would try to appeal to a broad range of people, with a broad range of political beliefs. And, I would probably focus a lot on reducing judgementalism, which I see as a significant stumbling block towards better thinking.

I never got around to writing any amount of that book, but it seems I no longer have to: Julia Galef has been nice enough to do all of that work for me! (Thanks, Julia!) Her chapters on the foibles of identity, for example, deliver remarkably similar messages as my theoretical chapters on judgementalism.

There would be some differences, too, of course: I probably inject some more humor into my book, and include a list of logical fallacies somewhere. But, I don't think this book really needs it.

I honestly do think, as objectively as I can possibly muster, that this is a book I would recommend THE MOST amongst all other mind improvement books I have ever come across! Buy your copy today!


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3sREXkB

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire