lundi 12 avril 2021

NAS upgrade

I currently have a Synology DS214se which works fine for backups etc. Trouble is it's a bit underpowered for streaming movies which is it's secondary use. My initial thought was to buy a more powerful Synology box, they have a decent range of software etc. But then I thought of the way the box goes into a coma every few months and has to be power-cycled to restart.


Then I wondered if I'd be better buying a small form factor PC and installing a bare bones linux. I could write cron scripts that would do a restart if no network connections are active etc.

I'd definitely prefer to future proof by getting something that can handle 4K even though most of our movies are (for now) stored at around HD levels.


eta: Just found synology dsm supports cron jobs though suboptimally.



Suggestions welcomed.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3a69F2R

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire