jeudi 25 février 2021

Dyscalculia

I had never heard of this, and maybe others haven’t so here is a wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Quote:

Dyscalculia (/ˌdɪskælˈkjuːliə/)[1][2][3][4] is a disability resulting in difficulty learning or comprehending arithmetic, such as difficulty in understanding numbers, learning how to manipulate numbers, performing mathematical calculations and learning facts in mathematics. It is sometimes informally known as "math dyslexia", though this can be misleading as dyslexia is a different condition from dyscalculia.[
The reason I raise this is that I was having a discussion over the phone with my boss today, an intelligent, capable manager. I was talking with her about a time period, September 2009 to November 2012. I said automatically “three years two months”. She said “no, two years four months”.

Silence ensued as I re-looked at the dates. “Er, no” I said. But she insisted and then got onto an internet calculator I’m now sure she has close at hand, and after about 5 minutes she agreed.

I have never come across this before with an adult. I’ve been in important meetings with highly qualified PhDs who couldn’t multiply 2000x10000 in their heads, but never anything like this.

Has anyone else seen this disorder? I’m interested in your experience with it.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2NWASgq

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire