mardi 17 décembre 2019

Stuck on Arrow-Down

Please consider me as your elderly uncle and do some family IT support.

Over the past few months I've had an occasional problem on the older computer assigned by my wife to my use. I like it better anyhow.

It's a Dell laptop with Windows 7. Don't remember the model and the little sticker has fallen off. Oh, Control Panel says model N5010, whatever that means.

I'm using it with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The mouse and keyboard are wireless and from Microsoft, because that's what they had at the store when I needed to replace them.

Problem: It's like I'm holding my finger on the down-arrow key. Everything goes wildly scrolling. It's been very occasional until tonight when it happened twice in a half hour. First time was solved by rebooting. I at least managed to do that, in the past it's been difficult due to the scrolling problem.
Second time I pulled out the receiver for the wireless mouse and keyboard and it stopped. That's great except I'm pretty sure I've done it before and it didn't help.
Oh, and in between both times, I pounded on the down arrow key on the wireless keyboard a couple times, because why not?
Note that the first time this evening it happened while I was near the end of a fairly long video and had not touched the either keyboard for a good half-hour.
Best guess at a cause: I eat in front of the computer. Crumbs have got into the wireless keyboard. But no other keys seem to be stuck, and I wasn't using the keyboard the first time this evening.
Second guess: Microsoft hates me, or something.

Your guess? Solutions?
Please don't say Mac or Unix, ain't gonna happen. I might consider a Chromebook. I'm too old for this crap.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2YXmHJa

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire