jeudi 13 décembre 2018

Have we become too separated from the Earth, ie. biological natures?

I am trying to reconnect myself and my outlook to the fact that I am really an animal that is tightly dependent and integrated with the natural world.

Not in some sort of magical wicca/pagan way.

Just in a basic factual way. I need oxygen to breath. I need sunlight. I need water. The food I eat needs sunlight, warmth, water, soil. I depend on the health of the earth for my future survival.
Days are days because the earth rotates towards and away from the sun. I'm made up of atoms that came from the earth. I will return those atoms when I die.
I'm a flesh bag. A Bio-chemical process.
You get the idea.

Yet I sense that a lot of human culture completely ignores these facts.
Last night I watched the movie Taxi driver. Great movie. Completely divorced from nature. Characters completely wrapped up in their human city-culture and thoughts. I don't think there was a tree in the whole movie.

For me, as I age and my health and the health of those around me starts to fail, well there is almost a sense of...outrage. As if our biology is some sort of afterthought. We get sick, and there's a reaction of What? What the hell is this inconvenience? Is it because we completely divorce ourselves from our biology?
Heck, how many people have never grown anything they have eaten?

Not sure what my point is. I don't think I have some sort of new answer for society. It just seems that divorcing ourselves from nature, or thinking ourselves above it or outside of it is inaccurate and leads to some tangible problems.
We are ******** on the environment for example. Apparently oblivious to the fact that we generally need the ecosystem to work well for us to survive in it.

How did this happen? Why did this happen? Should it continue to happen.
I am tempted to partly blame christianity's influence on western culture, placing us 'above' nature, as if we own it. Making humans think they are 'special' somehow.

What do you all think?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2QwKq1Q

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire