dimanche 29 mars 2020

WWII vs Covid-19

My wife asked me yesterday what our late parents would have thought about the current crisis. My response was that they would have said “we got through the war, this is a piece of cake”.

Now for the sake of argument I will exclude the suffering of people in Europe and much of Asia who experienced years of invasion, bombings and unimaginable horror.

So what about North and South America, Southern Africa and Oceania which experienced war hardship and saw their best and brightest shipped away to war, but weren’t invaded or bombed in major ways? Yes, there was rationing, existential anxiety and concern for those fighting in war. But they still had work, sport, community activities, restaurants and pubs.

So on balance, in the absence of war on the doorstep, I think our parents would have been wrong. People today are doing it harder.

I’m not certain at all of my opinion so would welcome debate.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2wKb2Uw

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire