samedi 26 octobre 2019

Police interviewing/interrogation methods in Scotland and England

I gather that the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) doesn't apply in Scotland. Does anyone (maybe Nessie or Rolfe) know the equivalent legislation that applies in Scotland (if there is any), i.e. what regulations or guidelines restrict what police can do when interviewing? I noticed that Rolfe stated in another thread that Luke Mitchell was subjected to the Reid technique. That was after the introduction of PACE in England and Wales so I assume police in Scotland were more at liberty to use these methods, but is this still the case? I need to correct a lecture that states that in the UK PACE prevents practices such as lying to suspects, but when this is made specific to England and Wales somebody may ask what is permitted in Scotland. I have found various sources regarding police practices and rights in Scotland but nothing explicitly stating what police may or may not do in relation to interviewing methods.

In relation to this, I noticed that although a lot of sources say specifically that PACE prohibits lying to suspects, when looking through Annex C I can’t see that it is specific about what police are or are not allowed to do in relation to questioning. Point 11.5 states ‘No interviewer may try to obtain answers or elicit a statement by the use of oppression’. I can’t see anything more specific about what constitutes ‘use of oppression’. I assume that the general purpose and ethos of both PACE and the PEACE model imply that deception is unacceptable, but was wondering if there is something more specific about what methods are not permitted?

This is outside my area but relevant to support arguments about the effects of police techniques of false confessions and guilt-presumptive bias.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2JqJkiH

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire