samedi 27 juillet 2019

Can the Republican party be saved?

Recently I posted this in another thread where it was off-topic. Minor editing to remove the first and last lines and correct a redundancy.


Quote:

I come from a long line of Republicans. I proudly wore my I Like Ike button when I was in elementary school. I'd have voted for Nixon in '68 had I been eligible, and did so in '72. Which was a mistake, but I continued to vote for Republicans after.

I didn't leave the Republican Party, it left me.

For the past forty years or so, it's become:
The party of fiscal irresponsibility, repeated tax cuts for the rich generating extreme deficits. Thank you so very not-much, David Stockman.

The party of war. Ok, Nixon inherited VietNam. And lost it. Panama? Granada? Serisously? I supported going into Afghanistan, but they bungled it. Iraq was based entirely on lies. Republican lies. And it's turned out SO very well.

The party of hate. Hatred of gays, hatred of transexuals, hatred of anyone not lily white, hatred of foreigners, hatred of women who don't know their place, hatred of non-Christians. And of the wrong kinds of Christians.

Oh, but it was the Democrats who supported slavery! Yeah, that was 160 years ago. Give me a break. And all those Southern Dems who were against civil rights in the '60's are Republicans now.

Trump is NOT an aberration. He's what the Republican Party has been moving toward for the past 50 years. If you support that party, you support Trump whether you think so or not. And I pity you for it.
I forgot the party of conspiracy theories. Birtherism. Pizzagate. Omar married her brother. QAnon. Hillary's health. Etc.
ETA: And DEATH PANELS!

Oh, and they also hate poor people, while convincing some of them to vote for them.

I'm currently reading Everything Trump Touches Dies, by @TheRickWilson. He's a longtime Republican consultant who hates Trump. It's a frustrating read, because like the poster I was responding to above, he can't see the forest for the trees. He blames Trump, when in fact he's spent years CREATING the kind of party that could nominate Trump. I probably won't finish it.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2JWVS24

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire