dimanche 31 mars 2019

how close is society to mass chaos?

So, funny non funny thing happened this past week. A road crew that was replacing a guardrail severed a major telecommunications line and in the blink of an eye my entire county was cut off from the internet and phone networks. I first noticed something was amiss when my cellphone went from giving me two bars to a giant canceled symbol.



I was like....well I know poor service but this is acting like I went back in time and there is nothing out there even resembling cell phone service. Not even an option to dial 911.


And there is the not funny part of all this. Our entire 911 system went down. No one could make a 911 call even within the county because, incredibly, the system was entirely reliant on there being a constant network link to outside the county. Our emergency services were forced to dig out old radios and use them for point to point communication relays. It was crazy and I'm only talking about the 911 problems. There was a whole other set of issues with none of the stores able to use their card reader systems along with all the ATM's being useless that led to many stores just shuttering and not opening that day.


Now the doomsday prepper types that I've been doing business with over the last....since Trump won, basically, had long been warning me about how the fancy new interconnected world was hugely vulnerable. But they usually were talking about something to do with a surprise EMP attack by the Chinese, North Koreans, Surprise Zaire Insurrectionalists, Reptilian-Robot Alliance and these dudes also think chemtrails are real and the UN tracks us through nanobots in vaccines. So why would I pay attention to their blathering?



But...well the way everything got thrown out of whack by one Caltrans subcontractor putting a guardrail post in the wrong place does provoke some reflection. In a world where large scale cyberwarfare might end up being a thing...what chaos might be wrought? What systems that we rely on might be totally undone in ways we don't typically think about? Could all medical files be wiped out? Could loan information just disappear into the aether? How long will pharmacies just not give out drugs if they can't connect to the DEA?


Unlike the prepper crowd I'm optimistic that we would put our heads together and rebuild without the need for trenches and moats. But if you want a trench or moat I know a guy.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2TLQ64M

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire