samedi 23 mai 2020

Question about ASL (American Sign Language) translators on TV

With so many briefings popping up on TV, I see some speakers (or the networks) provide a feed of an ASL translator on the screen.

I have a serious question -- I'm ignorant on this subject. I can see the hand signs sometimes correlating to the narrative. But I often notice the translator making what I think are... odd... facial expressions.

My question -- is the facial expression part of the translation? Or is it just a personal expression on the part of the translator (much like advanced musicians who often make weird faces when playing)?

It sometimes strikes me like Chevy Chase used to do, making funny faces behind a newscaster while the reporter is doing the story. (Yes, I know that is nowhere near the intent of the one who is very likely a volunteer!)


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2XrfxMT

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire