lundi 26 août 2019

Wifi doesn't work after Windows update

Windows was getting insistent that I update and restart. I didn't want to, but eventually, I gave in. Go ahead and update. It was a long one, so I waited overnight. This moring, signed in. So far so good.


Five minutes later, I lost my connection. This pattern would repeat for a long time. I did all the usual stuff. Shut down everything (cable modem, router, computer.) Restart everything. Repeat in different orders. I could sign in, but within five minutes I had either lost my network connection or, sometimes, just the internet. i.e. I would get the "connected, no internet access" message, and be unable to reach web pages. Other times, it was unable to connect to the router's network.

If I disconnect and reconnect from the wifi network, I would get another 2-5 minutes access before it dropped out again.

Other symptoms:

I can see lots of other networks, representing my printers, and my neighbors' access points. The box for "connect automatically" was checked on all of them. I unchecked them, but it would come back.

The wireless icon seems to have changed. When I go to the system tray, I no longer see the little representation of the antenna with the waves emenating. Instead, I see a picture of a globe. Well, really, just a circle with some lines, but I think the lines are supposed to be latitude and longitude lines. I've seen that icon, and I think it's supposed to represent a network, or perhaps the world wide web. One way or another, when I clicked it, I got the list of wifi networks detected.

I've enabled and disabled the adapter, and enabled and disabled wifi, and restarted, and done all of the "let's try this one" tricks, short of actually uninstalling wifi drivers. (It's not like I have a disk sitting around to reinstall the OS or any part of it.) So, any ideas? Including any reports of similar problems following a recent Windows update?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2NB9sKv

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire