lundi 30 octobre 2017

Solar eclipse, Ramses the Great, and the Book of Joshua

I just read this article which I find interesting. I'm starting a thread on it in case others have more information.

The basic version of events is that the story in the Book of Joshua about the "sun standing still" might be a reference to an eclipse. Astronomers can figure out when eclipses occurred, and cross referencing with an Egyptian text can then precisely date the reigns of some important Egyptian pharaohs.

I'm not going to jump into the believer category on this one. Mass market media loves to do "Science confirms something in the Bible" stories, because it's great click bait. This particular article proves its worth by confusing the word "annual" with "annular" when describing eclipses. Still it might be interesting. I'll be trying to find some more information on it, to determine whether it is great science, mediocre science, or pseudoscience, and would appreciate anyone else who can do the same.

Here's the link to the Newsweek article I read:



http://ift.tt/2yX8PEv


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2gWw9v8

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire