jeudi 19 octobre 2017

Home fire shelters?

The pictures of the devastated Santa Rosa neighborhoods burned to the ground block after block and the reports of people frantically driving through fires to escape makes me wonder if "shelter in place" could be possible. People who live in tornado alley routinely install concrete or steel tornado shelters. Firefighters in wildfires are equipped with aluminized mylar tents that they can throw over themselves if they are engulfed by fire.

Question: What kind of shelter could homeowners in fire zones construct to save themselves if they couldn't get away from a forest fire? I'm assuming a free-standing concrete structure, maybe covered with heat-reflective paint, would survive almost any fire. It would have to be sealed against fumes and maybe have air tanks inside. But I might rather take my chances in a shelter than drive into a fire with my panicked neighbors.

I suspect something like this, maybe even with thinner walls, could be adapted for the purpose.
http://ift.tt/2yUaXNI


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2yAmMph

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire