vendredi 20 octobre 2017

Is it wrong to buy a purebred puppy?

This question is already addressed to some extent in a Travis thread. It had not been obvious to me that buying purebred dogs might be morally wrong. But that's what some animal rights activists are basically saying. By creating a market for dogs that have been inbred in order to express certain traits, we're are creating dog breeds that are at high risk for serious health problems. Also by creating a demand we are dooming dogs to being no better than puppy-mill slaves, constantly kept pregnant and mistreated in numerous ways. In the meantime mixed-breed dogs often face euthanasia at a higher rate because people have their heart set on a certain breed.

I get all that, but if a little old lady wants a poodle she ought to be able to get one, IMO. Losing my current dog would/will rip my heart out. If I ever get another dog/puppy I would gravitate to her breed. But I don't really want to be part of a systematic, ongoing abusive practice that churns out unhealthy dogs while healthier ones are being euthanized for want of a permanent home. I feel somewhat conflicted about the topic and want to know what other people think.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2yVX3KH

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire