jeudi 22 juillet 2021

Odd USB problem

I've been building my own machines for decades, but this one has me stumped. One of my spare machines is(was) a dual-boot Win10/Linux Mint box. Recently it stopped seeing the USB ports in both OSes. I have several spare keyboards/mice which are known to work and it wouldn't see any of them, on any of the ports (front or back). It got to the point where booting into Win10 put me into a 'repairs needed' loop which I was never able to get out of. Okay, fine, I didn't use Windows on that box very much anyway, so blow out the drive and go with a fresh install of the newer version of Mint.

The USB problem persisted so I didn't bother with the reinstall. Here's the odd bit - the USB ports work perfectly fine in the BIOS, just not when it tries to launch any OS. I repeatedly did the 'reset to defaults' option in BIOS, and fiddled around with the legacy mode options, all to no avail. The PS2 ports for keyboard and mouse do work, but I don't want to have to use those old wired devices just to make the box work.

It's a spare so not something I'm too worried about, I've just never seen this sort of behavior before - USB devices work fine in BIOS, but none of three different OSes see them. If the board were going bad I'd have thought the ports would simply fail outright, not work only when poking around in BIOS.

Anyone see anything like this before? I've found refurb versions of the board for sub-$100, but I don't want to drop that to fix a spare machine if the problem is something CPU (or other) based. Don't recall the specific model number but it's a Gigabyte GA-Z97 socket 1150 if that matters.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/36RQ9oX

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire