samedi 17 juillet 2021

I built a new computer yesterday

I know that a few of you are interested in this sort of thing, so here's my parts list.

I wanted to move a backup dataset from an external HDD enclosure to a server, and I decided to combine that with a desktop, which led to this hybrid. The idea is that I can use it all day long as a desktop in my library as long as I leave it running to do its 30-minute rsync at 2am. I already had four of the 6T Ironwolfs, so I just had to buy one more.

I want this machine to run cool (well, I always want that), but I intend to never shut it off. The original idea was to go with Intel mainly to get the IGPU, and also because I'm familiar with them, but I forgot that the AV receiver I use is a pig with computers, so I reluctantly added the GT 710. Basically, I need separate audio and video outputs to run the way I want.

I put it together, moved it to the library, and nothing happened at first, or so I thought. First POST does lag a bit, but this computer is the quietest desktop I've ever built, and I didn't know it was on until the BIOS screen came up. I haven't added the HDDs yet, because I'm waiting on the last one to arrive (today). These will add some noise, because Ironwolfs do. Anyway, it's fast enough and runs at 27-31C even while watching videos -- not bad at all.

Now I have to find something else to fuss over.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3ri2ITL

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire