lundi 18 janvier 2021

Online bookstore using google drive?

My mum alerted me to an offer on a website that she uses to buy books from - they had more than 600 Doctor Who books available for under a tenner, for a very limited time. Although I was sure I'd already have most, if not all of them I figured "why not?" and bought the bundle.

Then the site directed me to a google drive page and I thought "hmm". I mean, I'd been thinking "hmm" anyway because 600 books for under a tenner is an offer that seems too good to be true, but you never rule anything out completely and, if I'm honest, I got very little sleep last night and am extremely dozy today.

It seems unlikely to be legit, though, because surely anybody who has paid can then pass the link on to anybody else without them having to pay for it. And who has an online book store without storing the files that they're selling on their own servers? It's not like these are large files.

But, anyway, I download the files since I've paid for them and they are what they say they are. On a hunch, though, I google one of the file names alongside the word "torrent" and find a torrent (which I won't link to because it likely breaks board rules) with what appears to be the exact same selection of books, all of which have the exact same file names configured in exactly the same way, organised into the same folders which all have the exact same names.

So I'm 99.9999% sure that I've just paid a tenner to someone giving me a link to the contents of a torrent that they've downloaded, but I figured it's worth asking the question - has anybody ever heard of an online bookstore distributing its wares via google drive?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3nYG2EK

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire