dimanche 31 janvier 2021

Forgiveness

Certain religions make a big deal out of the concept of "forgiveness." It's generally considered a virtue.

Their justification is that, hey, God has to forgive our sins (mistakes) because if he didn't, we would otherwise all deserve to fry in hell because no one is perfect, and so if he didn't forgive us, then there would be no hope for us.

I have to say, I don't get it. Can someone please explain to me the concept of "forgiveness" and why it is a good thing?

The problem with the God situation I gave above is that "frying in hell" is not necessarily a reasonable response for the magnitude of the sin. Even if God didn't forgive our sins, he wouldn't need to throw us in hell. He could just provide a proportional punishment.

It's even worse among people. If someone wrongs me, why should I forgive them? Why shouldn't I expect them to face consequences for their actions? Sure, if they have done so, I can say let bygones be bygones - you messed up, paid your dues as a result, ok move on. But that's not "forgiveness" as I understand it. If I get caught speeding and pay my fine, I'm not forgiven for having done it.

Maybe my understanding of it is wrong. In that case, can someone please explain the concept of forgiveness and why it should be considered a virtue?

And don't even get me started on "forgive and forget." You've done me wrong, why should I "forget" that you did that? Again, make the response proportional to the offense, but that doesn't mean you have to pretend it never happened.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/39w2Yay

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire