vendredi 17 mai 2019

Probability Problem

So I've been going back and forth with a friend of a friend online regarding the Monte Hall Problem. It has devolved into disagreements about probabilities and I'm having a hard time. He has gone into 'actual' and 'perceived' odds. My latest example is 'When you dive by my house, I'm either sitting on the porch or I'm not. What is the probability I am sitting on my porch when I drive by.' He says 'each time there will be a 1 in 2 chance'. Which I kind of get, given there are two possible outcomes (sitting on my porch or not) to one event (him driving by my house). He calls those 'actual' odds while 'perceived' odds can't be calculated until my parch sitting habits are examined. I assume there is some sort of fallacy involved saying out of two options they both have an equal chance of happening, but google is failing me. Does anyone have any good examples that demonstrate this fallacy?


via International Skeptics Forum http://bit.ly/2JIKs2h

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire