jeudi 10 janvier 2019

What does "gender" mean?

Recently I have been trying to find out what "gender" means as used in the context of "gender dysphoria", "gender identity", "gender studies" etc.

One would think that, given there is a large section of academia devoted to the subject that there would be a fairly firm definition, but I can't find it.

I am not trying to prosecute any kind of anti-transgender conversation, I have had a few friends who were transgender and I have always accepted a trans-woman as a woman and a trans-man as a man, even though I have no idea what that even means.

But when questions come up as what gender *I* identify as, then I can't answer it as I have literally no idea as to what the word refers to.

I do not "feel" like a man or a woman because I have no idea what a man or a woman is supposed to feel like.

And I am not, as some people have suggested, agender, because in order to be agender I would have to have at least some idea what "gender" is supposed to be. It would be like saying someone is "A-shrdlu" - you would at least have to know what "shrdlu" is to know t hat you are not "shrdlu".

And, yes, I have googled it, quite comprehensively, but everyone seems to squib on what "gender" is actually supposed to be.

Anyone have any ideas?


via International Skeptics Forum http://bit.ly/2SO14HF

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire