samedi 26 janvier 2019

Question on Conservative Mindset

I came upon an interesting quote in the book Becoming Nicole by Amy Ellis Nutt. This book is about a transgendered (M to F) child. When the child, Nicole, was in 5th grade, the parent of another child became aware of Nicole being transgendered and objected forcefully to Nicole using the female bathroom while having been born male.

The parent was quoted as saying he "felt as if his rights were being infringed upon every time his country invented new ones for special interest groups". Specifically, this person had fought against gay marriage for this reason.

I am politically and socially liberal (which I am presuming is relevant, but please correct me if it is not), and I don't understand how giving rights to one person impacts my rights. For instance, as a straight woman, I cannot see how giving gay people the right to get married impacts me. It doesn't remove my right to get married.

Could anyone explain this? Having read it, I am coming to see how a mindset like this would support anti-LGBTQ actions. what I am asking is, could you explain why you would see things this way? What is being taken away from you? thank you.


via International Skeptics Forum http://bit.ly/2RhZiwE

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire