dimanche 28 janvier 2018

Finland re-elected it's president

So, Sunday was election night here in Finland, and as expected, the president was elected for a second term, and straight in the first round of voting too.

For a candidate to be elected president in the first round of voting, he/she must receive more than 50% of the vote; if not, then there's a second round that will have two candidates, the winner of the first round, and the one that placed second.

In these times of.... questionable leadership in many places, it seems that here in Finland, the vast majority of people were at least content with the way the President had conducted himself on his first term, and a majority liked him well enough to vote for him again - Niinistö won with 62,7% of the vote - there were eight presidential candidates, with second place receiving 12,4% of the vote. This makes him the most popular president in recent history. I bet Trump would be jealous of those numbers. :D

Now I'm wondering why I didn't place a bet that Niinistö would win a second term - the odds offered were pretty poor (something like 1.3), but it was such a certain deal that if I'd thought about it more carefully, I'd have put a thousand euros down, and made three hundred.

I do think I'm going to place a bet, as soon as I can, that the second placed candidate (Pekka Haavisto) will be the next president after Niinistö's second term - and I wouldn't be sad at that outcome; we'd get our first openly gay president in Haavisto, though that is incidental. I tend to agree with Haavisto on most issues.

On a side-note, I ended up taking one of the losing candidates home from his party headquarters, late in the evening. (I drive the taxi here in Helsinki)

Interesting night.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2DJqpL1

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire