jeudi 8 août 2013

Why would God do such a thing?

It is often the case that theists present an idea of an all-powerful being (God) as something that brings with it certain expectations. For example, any time the nature of life or habitats is associated with God (fine-tuning arguments), there is an implication that we should expect an all-powerful being to create or modify these things to have these properties. All I want to know is this: Why should we expect God to do this? Is there evidence? Or should we just take it on faith?



This is a problem I have raised in one or two other threads recently, so I want to start a separate discussion, for the sake of a little preliminary research for an argument I am helping to formalize.



So here's another way of phrasing the question, because this applies to all sorts of issues:



A. If God exists, he would make X true.

B. If God exists, he would make X false.



For the sake of your response, you can substitute X with anything you want (no tautologies, please). My question is: Is there any reason to believe that A is more likely to be true than B? Even the tiniest reason at all?



I think this exposes an inherent flaw in the very concept of theism, though I've never received much of a response from believers. That being said, I want both theists and atheists to add their thoughts here.





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=263490&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire