vendredi 4 mars 2022

Small Kindnesses in the Community

I trust this is the right section. I think this is a social issue.

With all the gloom over Ukraine, covid, inflation etc etc I thought I would open a thread about ordinary people making small but meaningful and heartwarming differences in local communities.

Today I met with the owner of a Horticulture company. I know him through work and help him provide training to his staff. He employs young disadvantaged kids and people with disabilities in his company, which has survived a difficult couple of years.

Anyway I met him at a country property which had a lot of housing units. It is a women’s refuge. I asked what he was doing and his response staggered me - “it’s our monthly community support day”, a day he volunteers his staff to maintain and clean up properties of organisations which do a social good.

Another thing I found out recently is that a neighbour runs a not-for-profit which does nothing but supply sporting boots and shoes to disadvantaged kids. She finances it through donations from major AFL football clubs. Again I was helping her with staff training, but she spent most of the time telling me stories about how sporting footwear had changed the lives of thousands of kids, and in sport obsessed Australia, this makes sense.

So how about more local heroes who make a difference without fuss or fanfare?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3TInyVh

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire