vendredi 11 mars 2022

Easy upgrade - famous last words.

I decided to upgrade my laptop's drive as the old HDD was making odd noises, never a good sign. Easy peasy. I had an SSD drive in a drawer for my duaghter's laptop upgrade that never happened. Undo some screws, remove base. Just need to pop open the zif connector locking bar for the drive connector and ........ <numerous serious violations of rule 10> the locking bar came off.
Ok can I get it back on? Numerous help articles and videos later it seems the consensus is I need to fold a bit of paper then tape it in place holding the connector firmly enough to make a connection. Many hours over several days later I managed to get it to stay in place long enough to install an OS then it came loose again. And so we go on.

So I'm sitting there looking at the still disassembled laptop and the DVD drive just sitting there and ....... hold on, back up. 10 minutes later I have a suitable hard drive caddy on order for delivery tomorrow and I'm looking at the piles of tools, waste tape, scraps of paper and other things and exceed my previous bout of swearing.

Caddy arrives, drive pops in, screws back in place and seconds later I'm looking at a linux login screen.


Usually I'm one to sit back and look at the end goal but this time I got so stuck in fixing the immediate issue I couldn't see how to get what I really wanted.
<sigh>
A dry week so tonight is booze night.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/O9USi1d

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire