mardi 8 décembre 2020

Compartmentalisation of art from artist

Okay, so let's have a thread about this.

I ask members whether they can separate appreciation of art from the qualities of the artist who created it. The canonical example is Wagner. Can one still appreciate Wagner's music even knowing that he was an antisemite? Can one still appreciate the music of Michael Jackson, knowing that he molested children? Can one read Harry Potter, knowing that KJ Rowling is anti-trans? Can one enjoy movies produced by Harvey Weinstein?

My personal feeling is that I can, as long as the art is not directly related to the negative qualities of the person. If all of Michael Jackson's music was about molesting children, then I would less be able to compartmentalise. I think that the quality of the art is more important than the quality of the artist. But there would be edge cases.

It is a difficult issue for a lot of people. I know people who burned all their Harry Potter books. People who deleted Jackson music from their devices. And I believe that it is absolutely their choice to do so, and I understand why someone would do that.

I invite discussion, with examples.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2K5ypyh

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire