lundi 7 septembre 2020

Some of my students believe in ghosts, demons, and extraterrestrials

I don't post in or read this section that much, but it seems the obvious place to ask for help.

I've recently changed careers and become a secondary school teacher. At the moment I'm mostly teaching sixth-grade remedial math, with one seventh-grade advanced math class.

At the beginning of every day we have a shorter class that's called Critical Thinking, but it's actually what we referred to as "home room" when I was in school: a time for announcements, taking attendance, the Pledge of Allegiance, etc. According to the teacher whom I replaced, after those activities have been completed, the students are to have some kind of a "fun" activity for the rest of the time, usually, but not always, related to the teacher's subject area. Everyone in my Critical Thinking class is in one of my 6th-grade remedial math classes, so, for those unfamiliar, they're all about 12 years old.

The other day I couldn't find the worksheet I thought my predecessor had left for the students to work on during "Critical Thinking," so I decided that we would actually discuss critical thinking for a change.

As it turns out, at least three of my students believe in ghosts and demons, and at least a couple believe that UFOs are extraterrestrial space vehicles. One claimed to have seen a ghost himself, and to have observed other evidence that his house is haunted; another claimed that "the Air Force" has recently released documents proving that "UFOs are real," or words to that effect. He also asked me if I'd heard of Roswell.

I tried explaining to them about urban legends, extraordinary claims, the null hypothesis, and how our minds can play tricks on us sometimes, but those didn't convince them. I also read to them the Snopes page on Slender Man, which from a conversation I overheard before class, they seem to believe is real, and I told them to always check out any urban legends on Snopes. They seem to be okay on some subjects, though, such as Bigfoot ("It's just a guy in a suit") and the moon landings, so I believe there is hope for them.

So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions for resources or activities I could use in the future to help steer them (or other students) away from woo beliefs? It might be relevant to mention that I'm also qualified to teach middle school general science, high school physics, and high school earth and space science.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3iaiACp

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire