samedi 5 septembre 2020

Not Being Black While Black

Or maybe I should say, Being Black While Not Being Black? Kind of amused at this story. A professor of Latin and African-American Studies at George Washington University named Jessica Krug has admitted that instead of being Black and Latina, she's a white Jewish woman.

Quote:

"To an escalating degree over my adult life, I have eschewed my lived experience as a white Jewish child in suburban Kansas City under various assumed identities within a Blackness that I had no right to claim: first North African Blackness, then US rooted Blackness, then Caribbean rooted Bronx Blackness," she wrote.
Now in these days when we are supposed to acknowledge that people who grew up as boys are women, who's to say that she's not black? But what amuses me even more about the story is that Jessica also liked to role-play as yet another persona:

Quote:

“I’m Jessa Bombalera. I’m here in El Barrio, East Harlem – you probably have heard about it because you sold my ******* neighborhood to developers and gentrifiers,” she begins as she introduces herself. A few moments later, she adds: “I wanna call out all these white New Yorkers who waited four hours with us to be able to speak and then did not yield their time for Black and Brown indigenous New Yorkers.”
Gotta love that name, Bombalera. Apparently a bunch of activists in New York are shocked to discover that the Black and Brown indigenous New Yorker they knew and loved is not only white and Jewish, but a professor in DC.

Krug apparently was found out and tried to get ahead of the revelations by posting her apology online.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3i3LRie

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire