lundi 7 septembre 2020

making slideshow videos

I have been making videos that are made entirely of still images and audio, with each image getting its own custom duration so what's shown at any time is relevant to what the audio is talking about. I guess you could say it's like a recording of a PowerPoint presentation where you can't see the speaker or any of the stuff in the room around the screen, just the slides.

I was using Windows Movie Maker for this, which was part of a package of programs called "Windows Essentials". Support for and re-downloading of Windows Essentials apparently ended a few years ago without my knowing it, until I got a new computer. I keep the installer EXEs for all my programs that don't come with Windows in a folder to copy to & run on a new computer without needing to find them online again, but, when I ran the installer for WMM, it apparently tried to contact Micro$oft anyway; it gave me a message saying it couldn't be installed (and this is on the same version of Windows). I thought of locating its folder on the old computer and moving that whole thing to the new one, but I can picture Micro$oft having set a few traps to make that not work anyway, if they're already going as far as blocking an installation from a saved EXE.

So, presuming that doesn't work, what else does that leave me other than keeping the old computer around for only this particular task? The new computer came with a new Micro$oft video editor creatively called Video Editor, but it doesn't fit the bill in a few different ways:
►It doesn't allow slide durations under 2 seconds; I need to define slide durations in 0.1-second increments, including at least down to 0.5.
►When I opened a video with it and finally found how to supposedly step forward & backward one frame at a time to locate precise cut points (because I do occasionally want to clip clips too), the image that I was being shown would not actually change with each step. It changed once in every several steps, but that always meant that by the time I could see where I was, I was already past the point where I wanted to be. It's like driving with a passenger giving me directions but only announcing the turns after we've passed them.
►It adds a watermark in the lower right corner in its free form. The paid form without it only costs a few dollars so I figure Micro$oft is just making a point, but it's annoying anyway. And right now I don't have any reason to think that paying would fix the other two problems

So, does the paid version of MVE have the minimum slide duration & frame-by-frame navigation problems? And if it does, what other slideshow-maker would would you recommend? (I just tried one out and was reminded of why I almost never just try out things I find on Download∙Com. It's always just a bunch of rounds of finding random programs that just aren't very good and discovering a long list of creative new ways for programs to have weird problems I never imagined before. The most obvious one that came up sounding like an answer to my problems in this case might allow small enough slide durations, but gives no way to play the audio while I'm adjusting those durations, which is like driving blind, and I'd rather not waste a bunch of time on more discoveries like that.)

I've only used free programs for this before, but wouldn't mind actually buying one this time, especially if it means getting one with less-limiting abilities so I could use it to learn & practice more video work to use later.

Or would copying the old WMM files from my old computer have some chance of working?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3icus6Q

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire