dimanche 11 août 2013

CBS did a blurb about the stigma of mental illness

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...gma-cuts-deep/



The video was interesting in that I saw other mentally ill people in the working world noticing that there is a stigma attached to their disease. I myself have schizoaffective disorder and have found that there is mostly open hostility and discrimination in the workplace toward having to work with the mentally disabled rather than the walking on eggshells one interviewee mentioned. This type of disability is not very well covered by the Americans with Disabilities act with barely a 15% success rate for discrimination issues that are brought to court. I personally have found people who have shown disdain for my condition here on the JREF site. For instance, I PM'd someone who seemed to be stalking me on this forum to debunk me and was told that they didn't want to talk to mentally ill people. I had to put him on ignore but he still posts on my threads. I noticed that there are some differences between me and the people on the tape in that they appear to have more severe problems than me and appear to work in more sheltered work settings. Its hard to tell what they are really doing for a job. One didn't mention his job and the other one had a job title that really sounded kind of made up. Anybody want to share their opinions about whether or not there is a stigma attached to the mentally ill? While it is true that 80% people with schizophrenia are unemployed there are still those in high skill occupations such as doctor or psychiatrist. I am guessing that I never see those people on TV because they probably don't want to be identified as such. Who can blame them though?





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=263668&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire