lundi 12 décembre 2022

National Anthems

We've been kicking national anthems, especially the Star Spangled Banner, around one or two threads lately. Maybe the general topic would be fun to chew.

My gf asked, last night at dinner, "What is a national anthem for?" B'damn if I'd ever wondered before. I had to counter with a bright remark about the weather while I thought.

I think an anthem, national or other, is intended to draw people together in loyalty to a group, first through music and secondarily through poetry.

I'm using "music" and especially "poetry" generously when discussing most national anthems, but wotthell, generosity is seldom out of place, in particular when talking about things that tend to make people touchy.

Maybe we could dilute the touchy factor a little by adopting more national anthems: yes, anthems for different occasions. Why should MY rich n wunnerful n altogether terrif country have just one Official Song? We should have one for ball games and another for hockey, one to greet bigshot visitors, one to open parliament/congress/Thing/Diet (not too solemn; pols are pompous enough already), one for launching barges, one for dedicating memorials to bronze heroes, u.s.w.

Why not a one size fits all anthem? I suggest the tune of "The Irish Washerwomen," and lyrics consisting of the country's name. As in

Canada Canada!
Canada Canada!
Canada Canada!
Canada Canada!
Canada Canada da da!

No, I'm not mocking my sister nation to the north (south where I live). That vowel-rich name is highly singable. So is, e.g., Merica, Stralia, Na Zillan, Uganda, or any 3-syllable country.

My gf suggested an international anthem that all could sing. But she's half Quaker, and thinks in those terms.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/4q1c2vz

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire