mardi 20 décembre 2022

Chrome - causing hard drive to Thrash

I seem to be having a strange issue...

I have an older laptop running Windows 7 that I use as a media center. (Given the fact that Win7 is past end of life, I don't use it for anything critical or that depends on security...)

Its an older machine, only 2GB of memory, but fast enough for what I was using it for.

However, lately it seems like every time I start Google Chrome (version 108.0.5359.125), the hard drive starts to thrash. According to task manager/performance monitor, both the system process and chrome.exe tasks are reading millions of bits from the chrome.dll every second. (That seems to be the main focus of the disk access.)

Still roughly ~300-400MB of memory left. CPU usage fluctuates a bit.

Any idea what the issue might be? Some chrome setting I am overlooking? A virus that might have gotten by malware bytes? Haven't turned up anything on google searches yet.

(The machine is due for a replacement, or I could wipe out Windows and install Linux, but then I have to move a bunch of bookmarks over, reinstall various applications, etc. So I'd like to delay the effort at least for a little while.)


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/zRrNq9L

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire