mercredi 24 juin 2020

Many machine IIS SSL Cert renewal

Good day all.

I've been in IT for a number of years, but almost exclusively working with a single client at a time. Recently I moved over to a Cloud team, working on a large number of systems.

We have a wildcard certificate that is expiring at the end of June. There are about 100 machines that have a certificate that will need to be updated.

I've worked with certificates before. They can be a little weird with IIS, but the whole request/install series is pretty straightforward once you've done it a couple of times.

The odd part: We have a group of people that are all going to be working this week because I'm told that, once the certificate is issues from the certification authority, the old one is no longer valid and our web sites will fail.

It seems odd because I can't imagine a large client, who has thousands of web sites all using a wildcard cert, would have to have a horse race to reinstall them all once it was renewed.

But...I've never worked with a large number of different networks before, so this isn't something I've experienced. I am finding there is a large difference between working one network at a time, and working with a hundred separate ones. Is there a way to renew a certificate and actually have some time to install it before it's not working? Is my certificate group messing with us? Everything I see says you can renew it up to 90 days ahead of time, but everything I read tells me that's just for purchasing it.

My google fu has failed me on this particular question. Any assistance is appreciated.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2YuWNy3

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire