samedi 13 juin 2020

Is X real? Where X =/= Jesus.

I'm putting this in R&P because that's where this other thread was, but I suppose it's more History than R&P, because X isn't necessarily drawn from religion.

The thread I refer to is the "Is Jesus real?" thread. I found it a fascinating thread, although I didn't myself participate much there, beyond cracking some lame jokes, since I hadn't much to contribute. Amazing, the amount of reading folks've put in on this. Me, I don't care much if Jesus was real, as long as I'm clear that he's not God Junior, which I am. But still, I'd been fairly sure that the dude -- some dude -- did exist, did live, back.then, some crazed schizo who they nailed to the cross. Why this thread fascinated me is it's clear, basis the great deal of research people've discussed there, that the question is by no means decided, and, if anything, chances are the Jesus character's fully made up. At least that was my reading from that thread.

So, I was wondering -- sorry about the long rambling preface, I suppose I could simply have begun my post here and skipped the foregoing, but WTH, having typed it out I'll just leave it be -- I was saying, I was wondering, what other figures that we generally assume unthinkingly were real, bur might actually not be real, as far as the actual evidence?

Some names that come to mind are: Mohammed, and the Buddha, and Pythagoras, and Archimedes, and Socrates ... well, anyone, really, that you guys might've researched, or read others' research on. Anyone who people generally tend to think is real, historically, but who in fact, basis research you're aware of, are probably not real. Anyone other than Jesus, since that dude/non-dude's already covered/uncovered to death/resurrection in that other thread.

I hadn't anything to say in the other thread, not having done any research myself on this, not even at second hand, and nor will I have anything to say here, beyond this post, for that same reason.

So, if you've read books or had discussions around people who're generally believed to be real but who probably are, in fact, entirely made up -- people like Mohammed, or the Buddha, , or Alexander, or Pythagoras, or Archimedes, or Socrates, or, I don't know, Zoroaster, or --anyone of that kind you're well read about, or even somewhat-read about, and might be able to knowledgeably speak about, well that's why this thread.


TLDR version -- just read the last paragraph, right above.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2Y1GhFz

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire