samedi 13 juin 2020

babies' ability to learn any language

In the book I am reading at the moment, 'Bird Sense'* by Prof Tim Birkhead, (published2012) I am on the seconde part about Hearing. At one point he talks about a discovery in bird hearing which, when shown to be so, immediately showed that babies do not, as was previously thought, have the inborn ability to learn different languages at the start of their lives.


I find this difficult to believe, as it is well known that children brought up to speak two languages are able to do so and become efficiently bi-lingual, providing both parents continue to use both languages of course.

As it is a braille book, it is quite difficult to find the exact words the author uses, although I will try to do so later,, but I wondered if anyone here knows the current best knowledge on the subject.

* Although it's not exactly a page-turner, I have already learnt quite a bit about birds' vision from the first section. it is very interesting.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/30BR8HI

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire