mardi 19 novembre 2019

An odd problem with a jittery mouse

System is Win 10 Pro 64bit - the mouse is a bog-standard Microsoft wireless USB LED infra-red mouse.

Every so often, the mouse pointer will start to lag as I move it. If I move the mouse quite quickly to get from one side of the screen to the other, the jumps are big, but as I slowly approach the icon I want to click on the mouse jitters back and forth, missing the icon. I have to move it very, very slowly so that the jumps are smaller, until it is hovering over the icon.

I can temporarily fix this problem by rapidly sliding the mouse back and forth on the mouse pad several times. This always fixes the problem but it is only temporary - within anything from a few minutes to a couple of hours, the lag and jumpiness is back.

Now, if this was an old PS2 mouse, I would suspect the ball and rollers needed cleaning, but this an LED/IR mouse - no moving parts. Its almost as if the computer is busy doing something else and is not devoting enough resources to the mouse, but quickly moving it quickly triggers the computer to take notice.

I thought one of the suspects might be a weak wireless signal, so I put the transmitter on a USB extension cord and taped to the desk right in front of the mousepad. This didn't fix it. Also, I have an identical mouse-keyboard-transmitter combination at home, so I swapped them over. The problem remained with the same computer.

At this stage, I'm thinking drivers, but would like to know if anyone else has any ideas before I start monkeying with them.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/330cBHZ

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire