mardi 24 avril 2018

Revenge of the flat space? ;)

So I'm back to wondering about universe expansion vs an explosion in flat space. What can I say? They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and I have so little I must be the most dangerous man alive ;)

So what got me wondering this time is the rest frame of the CMB. Namely, our local group seems to be moving at about 627 relative to a rest frame of the background signal.

So that gets me thinking. (Which usually is a bad sign.) Wouldn't a CMB rest frame be exactly what you'd expect if we were just the result of an explosion in otherwise flat infinite space?

Furthermore, it seems to me like we can even have a pretty good idea how far we are from the centre. Hubble's constant being about 68 (km/s)/MPC, means the local cluster's centre of mass would be in the order of magnitude of about 10MPC from the centre of it all. That's about 30 million lightyears or so.

Which isn't a whole lot. It would certainly explain why at larger scale everything behaves as if we're the centre of the universe. Because we're really that close to it. Improbable, but someone has to pull the winning lottery ticket.


Well, as usual, I'm probably making a complete pig's breakfast of it, so if anyone can point out what I've grossly misunderstood this time, I would be grateful.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2Fcgk9i

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire