vendredi 30 mars 2018

AMD Ryzen line

Anybody had any real world experience with them yet?

So the cost of anything that even resembles a halfway decent gaming GPU skyrockets while availability of them even at the inflated prices continues to plunge with no end in sight.

But my ancient mid-range Asus laptop (Intel i7 at 2.40, 8 gigs of 800mhz DDR 3, two 500 gig 5400 rpm hard drives and a 2 gig NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M) is reaching the end of it's practical life as a gaming machine (and is starting to develop a worrying crack on the bezel near the hinge and several pieces broken off the vent on the side where the heat from the video card is vented) and while I've gotten fairly good at wringing halfway decent performance out of it (I'm a not much of graphics or framerate snob within reason) it's finally starting to come up against games it literally can't run at all. So before too long I need to slap together something.

And while I can always just go the easy route of buying a cheap Dell or HP off off Ebay and slapping a low profile GPU in it and getting something that's at least technically functional, that's a short term solution and even crappy GPUs are over priced right now.

So AMD has a new line of CPUs with integrated APUs that they claim can give halfway decent performance. They aren't miracle workers but several hobbyist online have built sub-500 or 400 dollar machines that benchmark to the same level as a very low budget (GT 1030 or so) GPU build.

I'm toying with the idea of dropping 400-500 bucks on build using this architecture.

Now I am not trying to build some sort of blow the doors off, PC Master Race, 4K at 60 FPS on 3 monitors at once while streaming post-singularity ultimate liquid cooled, gaming PC.

I want to build a decent gaming PC that will physically just play the new release Triple-A titles for a few years until this stupid mining craze finally bursts or something else happens to stabilize the video card market back down to something resembling sanity. I'm completely fine with Lowest settings, 720P, 30 FPS for now if it means I can at least play all the stuff that comes out.

Here's what I'm leaning toward building something like the one shown in this* article. Basically a solid budget Micro-ATX case, a Ryzen 5 2400G, a fairly large while still being affordable SSD, a motherboard, two 4 gig sticks of DDR4, and a power supply with enough juice left over for future expansion. Several builds online have done this in various price ranges around this ballpark.

I've still got a legal Windows 10 Key sitting around from a previous project and can use one of the generic keyboards, mice, and monitors I have sitting around for now.

That should give me something that's functional enough for now without wasting any money on a bunch of temporary compromise parts I'll wind up replacing down the line.

Then as time goes on I can add a couple of big multi-terabyte 7200 RPM mechanical drives for storage, add some more RAM, and/or some better peripherals as they go on sale or whatever and if through some miracle a decent legit non-shady deal on a proper high end video card I can add it to the system without having to rebuild the whole thing from scratch or wasting the parts I've already invested in it.

*https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl.../#25f5658e3c1d


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2JajrCa

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire