dimanche 18 août 2013

Graphics question

I need a picture modified, and the modification is more than I can do myself. This means nothing, because I am clueless with graphics programmes. So, I wondered if it was an easy job, does anyone feel like giving it a shot?



I have a book on Lockerbie very close to publication, and I'm currently having a run-in with the publishing firm about the cover picture. The 12-year-old who is in charge of this insists that the picture shouldn't puzzle the casual viewer, but make it very obvious what the book is about. So my first suggestion, which was a forensic photo of a crucial piece of evidence, was binned.



12-year-old wants to use the classic "nose-cone" image, which is so bloody iconic it's hackneyed. I know of at least five other books with that on the cover. To me, it says, "more pot-boiler re-hashed stuff you've read before". So I'm resisting.



I have dredged up an air accident report drawing of the plane beginning to disintegrate which I think has potential, but the artist who drew it has not included the plane's insignia. (This drawing is public domain, so it's OK to use.) I have done some modifications myself, but I think it needs the insignia added and I'm not up to that.



The image is a monochrome line drawing, so no fancy shading or anything, it's just words that have to be added. In the right font, at the right size, in the right place and in the right perspective (the last bit being the hard bit, because the relevant part of the plane is disappearing off the top of the view).



Here is the actual picture that needs modifying.



Here is a photo of an identical plane, with the text in place. The "PAN AM" is exactly right, however in front of that, where this one says "Clipper Neptune's Car", the crashed plane had "Clipper Maid of the Seas" in the same place (starting a little further forward I think).



Here is a photo of the actual plane that crashed. It's the other side, but you can see that the text is just the same, simply written the other way of course. It makes the font and size clear.



I think the "PA" letters were almost exactly where the skin of the plane is beginning to peel back at the top, so they may not be visible. "N AM" should be visible though, which would convey the message well enough. The tops of the letters may be disappearing over the "horizon", but again I think they would be readable. Even just the "__N AM" part might do the trick, though the curly "Clipper Maid of the Seas" would be the cherry on top.



Eventually this will hopefully end up tarted up by the publishing people, maybe silver on midnight blue or something, but first I have to persuade the infant who is in charge that potential book buyers will realise from the picture what we're actually talking about.



I have no idea if this is easy or hard. If anyone wants to take a shot, I'd be very grateful.



Rolfe.





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=263956&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire