dimanche 5 février 2023

[Split Thread] Why do some conservatives fear liberals?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgidm86 (Post 13998993)
Well said.

I would only say that if by "we" you mean everyone and not just forum members and other skeptics, that for the vast majority of people their provisional opinion quickly becomes permanent.

I've changed views on a lot of things in my life, most of them fairly recently, and the ability to examine my own beliefs was the reason. That ability was taught to me, and I actively try to improve my thinking skills. Many people don't even know what this paragraph means :)


Yes, agreed. Being able to change one's mind, that seems such a simple thing. And yet that's clearly beyond the powers of most people, or so it often seems.

Heh, even within this forum, actually, it's only the rare member who readily acknowledges it when they're clearly shown to be mistaken. Despite most of us self-describing as skeptics, most of us don't seem to be very good at changing our mind when warranted, even about incidental things we happen to be generally arguing about, and far less things that are more than of incidental interest to us.

But then we all like to think of ourselves as oh-so-skeptical, us here in this place; and it's always those others that are so inexplicably inflexible and irrational and unwilling to change their mind! Who knows, might others view us likewise, and might we in fact be more inflexible than we like to think we are?! That's something to always be careful about, isn't it.


-----

Yep, it's very cool, your having been able to change your thinking and your opinion about such a fundamental part of your worldview. Apologies if I'm mixing you up with someone else --- in which case do please correct me --- but I seem to remember you as having started a thread to discuss this change in how you see things. It was, again unless I'm mistaking someone else' thread for yours, about your politics I think, about throwing away right-wing blinkers and embracing a more heretical left-oriented worldview (aka, a worldview better synched with reality!).

To have been able to do that, that's very, very commendable.



eta:
Again, apologies if I've got this all mixed up with someone else! I don't remember if I even posted in that thread I'm talking about, most probably not, but I did read it. If I've got all of that wrong, then do please go ahead and spell out what recent change in opinions you were speaking of here, if you'd like to that is.



via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/dwvJDTK

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire