mercredi 6 juillet 2022

Is where tech questions go? I have one.

A month, maybe a couple months ago lightning struck a tree nearby and knocked down a live power line. There was a small fire, and our power went off and on, off and on repeatedly for a good 10 minutes. Then it was out until they fixed the line.

When this was happening I unplugged everything that was easy to unplug. But I didn't unplug the stereo/radio/CD player thingy.


When the power came back on everything seemed fine. No circuits were tripped and I have a number of GFIs at the receptacle, none of those tripped.

But when I turn off the radio that has the cd player thingy, it goes off just fine but a few seconds later the CD player turns itself back on. I tried a number of things except for unplugging it and plugging it back in because the plug is hard to reach.

So I've been ignoring it. Meh. I'll deal with it later.

Fast forward a month or so and I'm upstairs where there is another radio/CD player thingy, (one of them is years newer but I can't remember which one), completely different brand, when I notice the CD player is on. So I turn it off. It goes off, says 'goodbye' and shuts down. Then a few seconds later it turns itself on. It's also hard to reach where it plugs in so I didn't unplug it during the power frenzy.

Both of them have remotes if that's relevant. One is on the older wiring* in the house with the GFI, and the other is on the newer half of the house with newer wiring.

*When the house was remodeled the wiring in the crawl space/attic was all redone but they didn't rewire the individual lines down the walls to light switches and outlets.

Any ideas what possible things are I might investigate? What causes this mysterious behavior? It's so odd that it happened the same way to two different devices.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/dCGQiul

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire