mercredi 22 juin 2022

Richard Dawkins: Less than the model atheist some think he is?

Here in this place, not so much for the "Paranormal" part, obviously, as the "General Skepticism" part. Hope I've got that right.

This OP is mostly some posts I've copied from the thread about the Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard trial, in order to prevent a derail there, and because this discussion, should it take off meaningfully, interests me. I'm no expert, and haven't even read Dawkin's work as far as his actual specialization. But I've enjoyed his God Delusion, and liked his Magic of Reality enough to gift it to two kids who I thought would love it (but who, as it turns out, did not, neither of them; but no doubt they will when there're a year or two or three older, or so one hopes). And I've also enjoyed his talks and interviews where he discusses atheism. Personally I've found his views both very reasonable, as well as clearly articulated and argued.

Which is why I was kind of surprised to find that apparently not everyone thinks of Dawkins as a model atheist, not everyone finds him inspirational. Hence this thread, to explore that POV further.

This OP is, like I said, simply some posts copied from the other thread, plus this short introduction.


Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 13838161)
(...) unlike you, I'm not too fond of atheists like Dawkins).


Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanakya (Post 13838236)
Oh really? Why not?

(I realize Amber's atheism is itself a tangent, and our views about Dawkins an out-and-out off-topic diversion. If you like you could start a separate thread; nor do I mind starting a separate thread myself around this discussion, even if that discussion spans no more than just a handful of posts. If I find that I have anything meaningful to add to or follow up on your response, then I'll just go ahead and do that, start a separate thread, rather than responding here.)

But I'm curious: What's not to like with Dawkins and his atheism? I find his views very reasonable, and remarkably well articulated.


Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13838366)
That Dawkins has become a publicity whore, for one thing.


Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 13838724)
Read a book without preconceptions. Yes, OK. But appeals like, "Please read it with an open mind. Please.", from a guy who's supposed to be some kind of skeptic?! Why does he encourage me to please read right-wing drivel with an 'open mind'?
Dawkins is not the only atheist nowadays who seems to focus almost exclusively on the bad kind of religion, the one that isn't our kind of religion. Besides, he always tended towards Social Darwinism. I'm with Richard Lewontin and Stephen Jay Gould on that one.
So Dawkins has discovered that there is no god. Of course, there isn't. It's common knowledge in the civilized world. That don't impress me. Neither does the atheism of Amber Heard.


Quote:

Originally Posted by lomiller (Post 13838815)
Never trust anyone who tells you that they don't need evidence for their position, but you need evidence if you want to disagree with them.



via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/wYTdFgK

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire