dimanche 15 mai 2022

Were you ever a creationist, and if so how did you give it up?

We have had lots of threads over the years about what convinced you to give up Christianity. Many of us grew up as Christians, but gave it up, for a variety of reasons, as we matured.

I want a narrower topic, on why you gave up creationism.


It may be that there are few if any people who can answer the question here. I, for one, grew up a Christian, but I never, as an adult or even an adolescent, doubted evolution, so I can't really say.

For the people who participate here, I think that the way most people gave up belief in creationism was to give up belief in Jesus, and then there was no reason to believe in creationism any more. The perfect person to answer the qeustion would be someone who was once a biblical listeralist, but who retained belief in Chrisitanity, while rejectiing creationism. I don't know if anyone whom that describes actually participates here. Christians of any sort are few and far between in these parts.

By "creationism", I mean any variation of a belief that life arose in any way other than mutation and natural selection.

One special case would be "guided evolution", by which I mean evolution that occurred with God tweaking mutations here and there, but which is indistinguishable from atheistic/agnostic evolutionary beliefs. In other words, if you believe that evolution is perfectly capable of evolving complex and/or intelligent life, but God jumped in occasionally to direct it toward one, specific, outcome, in an indetectable way, that's not creationism.

What I'm looking for is some discussion about what actually works to convince people not to believe creationism. To be honest, I doubt I'll find it, but I thought it was worth asking.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/MgYHKDS

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire