dimanche 29 mai 2022

On being Agender (or not as the case may be)

If there were only two genders and "man" simply referred to a biological category and had no connotations of expectations of social cultural attributes and behaviour whatsoever then in that sense I am a man.

If, on the other hand, being a man is something that carries an expectation of social cultural attributes or behaviour then in this sense I am not a man.

Firstly because I don't do that kind of expectations. If something seems the right thing to do or I want to do it and it won't hurt anyone then I will do it, but not because of my gender.

Secondly because no one has ever been able to tell me what being masculine or manly even means It is always something like:

Masculinity df: (Some attributes which are seen as much in women as in men)+biologically male

And they never appear to understand that anyone might not find a definition like that satisfactory.

People will say they think that there are only two genders, but then they keep brining up the idea of three being such a thing as manly or masculine.

Now there is a certain quality that I seem to sense in some men which might be what people call "manly" or "masculine" but I have never been able to put my finger on it or put it in words.

So I might feel that certain men are manly or masculine and there might be some sort family resemblance way of defining it.

But I can't see how, even if this is what people mean by it, it can't be any kind of a useful category and in any case most men don't have this quality.

If their was some definition of manly then "unmanly man" might be meaningful, the way that "unneighborly neighbour" can have a meaning.

But without that it is simply an emotional reaction to certain attributes when they occur in men.

So I am not going to identify as a manly man or an unmanly man.

I am just not going to identify as any gender at all. It is not even that significant, but I don't know why it bothers people so much.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/iMKPlIN

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire