dimanche 3 avril 2022

How to Manage Joint Horizontal Employment in Quickbooks? (Basic Intro Needed)

Hi Everyone. Sorry I have been gone awhile, and cranky/cold whenever I did pop in. I have been very busy, and the state of the world has me in emotional shambles. I just can't handle the internet most days. But I still love you guys (even the scoundrels), and when I have a question, this haven of smart people is still the first place that comes to mind. Can anyone help with the inquiry below?


I've started working for a new company, which is in a sort of rapid growth stage. The person currently handling bookkeeping (sibling of the owner) does not have an accounting background. I have some, but a question has presented itself that I can't figure out myself. Google hasn't been any help (possibly because I'm using bad keywords?), and according to the owner, neither has their accountant. Word around the office is that said accountant isn't very knowledgable or good at his job, but I haven't interacted with him yet, so I don't know.

So anyway, here is the problem. The owner of this company actually owns 4 interrelated but separate companies. There is an employee (another relative of the owner) who splits her time fairly evenly between two of these companies. She wants tracked payroll hours to accurately reflect this, but under the current setup, such tracking wouldn't produce overtime for her. For example, if she works 21 hours a week for one company and 22 for the other, then she's worked 43 hours in a week, and qualifies for overtime - but according to Quickbooks, which views the two companies as separate entities, she has worked well under 40 hours.

I guess she's been doing all kinds of creative manual overrides and just sticking hours in the wrong place at times in order to deal with this, but that's really not going to fly going forward. For one thing, I'm going to be taking over the books for two of the companies soon, and we want to start that venture with a cleaned-up record. For another, I think we'd be risking audit attention under the current tomfoolery.

I believe the concept we are dealing with here is known as horizontal joint employment, meaning an employee is splitting his/her time between co-owned or affiliated organizations to equal a full-time schedule. I can find loads of general information about it, but not a thing about how to actually set it up, either behind the scenes or within the payroll software. Can anyone who knows about this stuff give me a starting point for fixing this mess?

Not only would I be the office hero if I managed to figure it out, but I'd also feel a lot better about the books being in order. I'd just sort of like to know for myself, too, as I find the issue interesting. Thank you for any help you might provide. Also, please let me know if anything I wrote was confusing. I tried to explain it as best I could, but I am forced to multitask at the moment, so I may have stated some things poorly. Thank you :)!


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/jHN5aoe

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire