mardi 5 avril 2022

Departure Date Mystery

I went to a web page and instead of getting the content I expected, I got this.


Quote:

Departure Date

The numbers tattooed behind my right ear are the envy of every party,
a signifier that I know more of my fate than every generation that ever
lived and expired before. (The font, Albertus, looks cool too, I guess.)
It's nice to have an icebreaker, though in truth, I wish I didn't possess
the sobering knowledge the numbers convey: That I will surely die on April 4th.

April 4th is my Departure Date. The year is indeterminate. Might be this year.
Might be thirty years. The swab and algorithm can only predict which day of
which month ... but with 98% accuracy. Study after study has validated this
impossibility. Science continues to throw up its hands. Religion shrugs. What
is the connection between saliva and temporal time? Who knows, but as the
billboards say, "Swab Don't Lie!"

That catchphrase is mine. Proved to be a big hit, too. I've heard it parroted
on late-night talk shows and spun into memes. My company sells a host of
Departure Date services for which I supply snappy copy. For varying fees
you can learn the date, or get it printed on a shirt, pillow, or scroll. Our most
popular option – the one I regret drunkenly allowing last summer – are tattoos.
Pay upfront, get swabbed, await your result, and then ink your obsolescence.
Parents are horrified, but then they've never understood. Crucially, the kids
love us.

(By the way, I wanted to call it Death Date but got outvoted.
A fan petition sought to name our discovery Death Clock. Sorry, kids.)

And it goes on from there. It looks like a passage from a science fiction book.
Does anyone recognize this passage and know the name of the author?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/qQDxWOG

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire