samedi 27 novembre 2021

Network Upgrade took out both of my phones

Well this is funny...

Last week, my mobile (cell) phone suddenly stopped working.

The provider advised that there were tower upgrades going on in my area, and the outage would be very temporary.

It wasn't.

I pulled out my back-up phone, and found that it could no longer connect either.

Days went by, where I tried everything I could think of, and the provider continued to advise me that things would be working 'real soon'.

Of course, there are some things that require SMS for two-factor authentication, and that meant I was locked out. (Neither phone was able to do SMS via WiFi)

The provider recommended that I pick up a free, new SIM card, so that I could at least use phone over internet so that I could keep going while they tried to work out the network issue.

Hey presto! New SIMS and both phones were immediately working perfectly again.

My best guess?

There's been some kind of protocol change, and my old SIMS were not able to use the new protocol.

Four days of hassles that I could really have done without.

Both phones are now showing new features, so I've learned something else.

Android doesn't show features if the SIM card doesn't support them.

:)


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3D1QgvE

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire